Summer to winter
Strawberries are available 365 days a year. The method of growing strawberries varies: assimilation lighting in the winter, heated greenhouses, plastic tunnels, open air, etc. But great flavour and high quality are constant.
The colour and distinctive taste of our strawberries are different for every variety, but they are always shiny red, smooth and juicy. The main variety is still Elsanta (85%). Elsanta definitely dominates the range, but is certainly not the only variety we offer. Other varieties such as Sonata, Sonsation, Limalexia and to a limited extent Murano are on the rise as fully-fledged alternatives.
- Elsanta: Red and tasty. The main variety of Hoogstraten strawberries.
- Sonata: Fresh red, round and sweet. Perfect for enlighted crop in winter and very successful in spring.
- Sonsation: Sweet with an intensive gloss. Looks like Sonata, but the red colour appears to be more intense.
- Limalexia: Fruits with a pleasant texture and excellent taste. Looks like Elsanta, but the fruit size throughout the growing season is better maintained.
- Murano: Everbearer with appearance of a june bearer.
New varieties are tested under the supervision of Hoogstraten Research centre every year. These variaties are, depending on their growing and blooming cycle, sold as evera (everbearers such as Verity) or Verano (junebearers such as Malling Centenary).